Monday, January 21, 2013

Week in Comics 1/16/13

Almost completely forgot to write this, but here I am. I kind of liked getting a thought or two down on every comic, like I did last week, so let's do that again. Although I am not really sure what to do about the tags. SPOILERS FOR LAST WEEK'S COMICS.

2000AD #1815 (Dredd story)By Robbie Morrison and Peter Doherty
     Pretty much how I figured this storyline was going to play out. I wish the concept could have been drug out a little longer, but that doesn't seem to happen in the Dredd stuff I've read.

All-New X-Men #6
By Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez 
     Marquez does a good job of making the past X-Men look like a bunch of teens. I dunno how long he's going to be on this book, but I think it fits the tone a bit better than Immonen did.

Archer and Armstrong v3 #6
By Fred Van Lente and Emanuela Lupacchino
     Funny as always.

Avengers Assemble v2 #11
By Kelley Sue DeConnick and Stefano Caselli 
     I'm not sure if I just missed something, but it didn't really seem like the whole virus part of the plan was taken care of.

Avenging Spider-Man #16
By Christopher Yost and Paco Medina
     It's interesting to see how the rest of the Marvel U is reacting to Spider-Man's personality change, but you have to figure that they'd take a personality change more seriously. There is like aliens that have taken over someone's life. This issue does address how Ock can remain hidden despite the metric ton of mind readers walking around, so at least there is some reason this is working.

Batgirl v4 #16
By Gail Simone, Ed Benes and Daniel Sampere 
     Whatever your mind imagines to be the language that sentient alien pieces of shit use to communicate is what I want to write this in. It's the only language that can possibly express the levels of shit, shittyness and shititude contained in this book. This is a total hate read for me.

Batman v2 #16
By Scott Snyder, Gregg Capullo and Jock
     If there is one thing Scott Snyder does well, it's write Batman just walking through a place wrecking dudes. Obviously it wouldn't be as awesome without Capullo on art, who can definitely draw the hell out of Batman wrecking dudes.

Batman and Robin v2 #16
By Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
     This was a whole lot of punchin'. Pretty weird that Damian couldn't tell the difference between his dad and a Japanese man dressed like Batman, but he was under some stress so I'll let it slide.

The Black Beetle #1
By Francesco Francavilla 
     I am pretty predisposed to loving this comic. I am down for pretty much anything that has the 1930s-1940s noir pulpy feel to it. It doesn't hurt that Francavilla is an excellent artist.

Captain America v7 #3
By Rick Remender and John Romita Jr.
     I'm not really sure what to think of this comic. While I like the Idea of taking a dude who was already out of his own time and throwing him into some crazy sci-fi world, this is just really weird. Because the comic jumped ahead in time to when Cap had already been surviving for a while, we never really got introduced to the rules of the world. Its hard to tell if Cap is in an extraordinary circumstance, or if this is just and average Monday in this world.

Captain Marvel v7 #9
By Kelly Sue DeConnick and Filipe Andrade
     Woof on the art in this comic. It was just distracting. Instead of paying attention to a story about dinosaurs and cats, I was thinking this.

Conan the Barbarian v2 #12
By Brian Wood and Declan Shalvey
     This whole business with Belit has lasted a lot longer than I thought it was going to, so kudos for not being predictable. Similarly, other than breaking it off and moving onto to a totally new place and story, I'm not sure where this plot is going.

Daredevil v2 #22
By Mark Waid and Chris Samnee 
     Similar to Avenging Spider-Man I am really feeling like other heroes should take this change more seriously. Again, its fairly well justified, but I am always vigilant on the lookout for evil posing as someone I know. Also, way to be a downer Mark Waid.

Demon Knights #16
By Robert Venditti and Bernard Chang
     Well there goes my theory that Al Jabr is secretly Ra's Al Ghul. Also, why even have a mask/gag thing on a dude when his mouth is fused like that one scene in the first matrix?

Frankenstein Agent of SHADE #16
By Matt Kindt and Alberto Ponticelli
     I have to say, I had high hopes for this series when it first came out. It was crazy and not really like the rest of what DC was putting out, but it didn't really go anywhere. Things happened, but they didn't seem important to the world or the characters. It was just some issues of crazy stuff, which were enjoyable, but not that memorable.

Indestructible Hulk #3
By Mark Waid and Leinil Francis Yu
     Bruce Banner and his science team is shaping up to be a pretty sweet series. From a distance, the Hulk always looked insanely boring to me. But it's hard to pass up some sweet SCIENCE, which this book is delivering so far.

New Avengers v3 #2
By Johnathan Hickman and Steve Epting
     Maybe it's because I am not as well versed in the Marvel U as I am the DCU, but this book really seems like it's trying to have some gravitas that I am just not getting. The whole time I was reading it, I felt like someone was elbowing me in the ribs and going "See how cool all these guys are? They are like super important and secretly make super important decisions. Cool, right?"

Savage Wolverine #1
By Frank Cho
     This was probably not a good one to read on the train. I am fairly sure some type of elderly something was not impressed by Shanna the She-Devil. Other than causing some looks, I dig the concept of being trapped in the Savage Lands. Although pretty much all stakes are out the window when it comes to wolverine. Not only does he have the standard popular hero plot armor, but also powers that make sure there is basically no danger ever.

Threshold #1
By Keith Giffen, Tom Raney and Scott Kollins
     Meh

Venom v2 #30
By Cullen Bunn, Thony Silas and Rodger Robinson 
     How many different things has Eddie Brock been infected with? That dude needs to see a doctor or something.

X-Men v4 #40
By Brian Wood, Jefte Palo and Guillermo Mogorron
     I hope hey call that new dude TRANSFORMERS 4 or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment