Sunday, December 16, 2012

Week in Comics 12/12/12

My god have I not been doing any comic stuff lately. Someday I will get back to actually reading things before Sunday. Anyway, SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEK'S COMICS

Batman v2 #15
By Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
Backup by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV and Jock
     Similar to last issue, some stuff just came off weird to me. This time it was some of the dialog. I'm not sure if it was supposed to reflect Batman losing his cool, but lines like "YOU ARE NOTHING--BUT DEGENERATE FILTH" read really awkwardly in my head. And the framing dialog about pupils, I like as a concept, but the way its phrased like Batman psyching himself up is strange to me.
     Then there's the scene where Bruce tells a story that has no real point, and seems to only piss off the rest of the family. On a metatextual standpoint I can see wanting to have an encounter like this, but I am not sure why Bruce would decide to go "Oh, BTW the joker possibly knew who we were all along, but probably not because I say so" from a character standpoint. He doesn't want to tell everyone about Alfred and upset them, but he does want to tell a nearly decade old anecdote that will only upset them.
     I get the sense that all of this is to show that Batman is off his game, but it comes out more like out of his character. It's like Snyder wants that post Jason Todd era Batman, but that was an era where Batman shut everyone out. It clashes with all the scenes of dealing with the rest of the bat-family.

Batman and Robin v2 #15
By Peter J Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
     This issue was fantastic. It was all talking, but managed to get across the Joker's point in a way that wasn't weird. There was none of the king Batman stuff, it was just the Joker telling Damian why all the bat-fam needs to go away. It pretty much communicated everything the last 2 issues of Batman tried to in a way I enjoyed and understood way more. Plus the Joker did some seriously creepy stuff with his face. Somehow this issue beat out Batman #15 in terms of my enjoyment.

Demon Knights #15
By Paul Cornell and Bernard Chang
     KING ARTHUR VS HELL VS DINOSAURS

No comments:

Post a Comment