Sunday, December 2, 2012

Week in Comics 11/28/12

SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEK'S COMICS UNLESS YOU CONSIDER SUNDAY TO BE THE START OF THE WEEK, IN WHICH CASE IT WOULD BE FOR LAST WEEK'S COMICS.

All-Star Western v3 #14
By Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat
     This is, as far as I can remember, the first story I've read to be labeled with the BLACK DIAMOND banner. Like all of All-Star Western's tie ins, the actual plot elements that tie the series into the crossover are barely present. I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of the next issue dealt with it a little and then dropped the plot entirely.
     I'm not really sure what's going on with this book. It just leaves me wanting something more, but I can't pin down what it is. It feels too small, which can work, but I like my historical fiction to be grand. It should be huge and full of detail, which I feel this series is lacking. Instead it's smaller stories in one city and it's not quite doing it for me anymore. Hex needs to move on and do some traveling.

Batman Incorporated v2 #5
By Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham
     I think what I loved most about this issue was its demonstration of how Morrison continues to not give a single fuck about the rest of the DCnU. That's not to say the rest of the issue wasn't fantastic as well. Similar to Rotworld, I would read the hell out of an alternate future ongoing of the Batman #666 future. It wouldn't really make sense to have one based on what happens in the issue, but I don't even care. This issue pretty much does everything that Earth 2 hasn't. AKA be interesting and actually make me unsure of what will happen to the characters next.

The Flash v4 #14
By Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato
     All I could think about for the first half of this issue was that there should have been an Abbot and Costello style routine on "Gorilla invasion" vs "Guerilla invasion." Once I got over that idea, I got a pretty solid issue that I can't really form a thought on. I've probably said this too many times, but The Flash is just a good series. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, it's just a very well done superhero story. Which is what makes it hard for me to put how I feel about it into words. It doesn't fail to meet expectations and it doesn't do completely insane things, so there is nothing I can really point at and discuss.

I, Vampire #14
By Joshua Hale Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino
     Talk about a world where you don't know what's going to happen. I've referred to this series as being like a Vertigo title before, and it still holds true. New characters and a loose connection to DCU mean things can actually happen and characters can actually play out their arcs. I'm pretty interested to see what will happen to this series. It's definitely at its best when not dealing with other DCU stuff, but that means that a lot of people aren't going to pick it up because someone they like is in it. I'm glad it has survived thus far  and I hope it keeps on for a while even being under the radar as it is.

Talon #2
By Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV and Juan Jose Ryp
     It seems like a lot of series this week are just reminding me why I am disappointed in other series. Here is a book that contains a high tech heist, a room full of treasure, and yet this isn't Catwoman. Why is the high adventure crime all happening in a series about taking down the Court of Owls? Well, I'll take it where I can get it, because this issue was good. Each issue seems to be building off the last and giving me a lot of hope for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment