Sunday, November 25, 2012

Week in Comics 11/21/12

I kept meaning to read these all week, I'm not sure why it took me so long. Anyway, SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEK'S COMICS

Batwoman #14
By J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman
     I'm not sure if it's because I've been reading a lot of other stuff lately, but the narration by Medusa in this issue makes me think I have missed/forgotten a lot about this series. It was probably there to bring everyone up to speed on what happened in those hard to follow mixed up issues, which is nice, but it left me focused less on the issue itself and more on trying to figure out how we got here. 

Birds of Prey v3 #14
By Duane Swierczynski and Romano Molenaar
     This issue was just pretty bland. I've seen heroes fight armies of ninja. I've seen the new hero not want to work with the team. It just read like a totally average comic. The only remotely interesting thing is Black Canary's reaction to using her powers, but there hasn't really been any clues to what this could be. They'll probably reveal what it is too fast and destroy any tension it would have, but here's hoping they don't.

Catwoman v3 #14
By Ann Nocenti and Rafa Sandoval
     What was going on with the dialog in this issue? I'm not sure what the Joker was supposed to be, but it wasn't scary and it wasn't funny. This is kind of what I was afraid cut-off-face-Joker would be. I get what they were going for, and it makes sense for the Joker to mess with Catwoman over her pseudo bat-ally status, but it lacked impact and didn't accomplish anything. Which is too bad, because I think this concept could have worked really well.

Nightwing v3 #14
By Tom DeFalco and Andres Guinaldo
     This is another of those issues that feels like it was written before the crossover, and had to have the Joker shoehorned in. It has lots of talk about what's going on, "... AND THE JOKER IS BACK!" It would probably have been a better issue if it didn't keep reminding me that Nightwing is faffing about and not all in with stopping the Joker. The problem with a shared universe is that characters have to exist and make decisions that fit their personality in that universe. Sometimes it's better not to talk about what else is going on and just tell a story.

Wonder Woman v4 #14
By Brian Azzarello, Tony Akins, Dan Green and Rick Burchett 
     It'll be interesting to see where all this fourth world stuff is going. Especially since we've already had Darkseid in Justice League, and some fourth-worldey stuff in Justice League Dark. If I didn't know the next event was the Trinity War, I'd say this was pretty clever buildup to a big story. With the exception of Justice League of course. Clever is not a word that could come within miles of that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment